Controls Service Engineer
New Hudson, MI 48165
Controls Field Service Engineer
Summary: The Controls Field Service Engineer installs automation systems at customer locations. They also provide customer support with on-site maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair services.
- Report to the General Manager of Service and Aftermarket for project assignments and to report on daily activity progress and responsibilities
- Work closely with the engineering department and build department in machine de-bug, validation and commission.
- Provide assistance to the sales and quoting departments in evaluating future projects and customer request(s) for quote.
- Consult with the Service Department General Manager, Engineering, and customers to define the scope of projects.
- Follow safety practices as defined and customers site safety requirements.
- Test and debug automation and electrical systems prior to shipment to customer sites.
- Coordinate and perform the installation, startup, validation and commissioning of systems at customer facilities.
- After any equipment has been validated at the customer s facility, the Field Service Engineer will maintain contact with these customers.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance on installed equipment.
- Review drawings, schematics, manuals and other pertinent information to determine the best solution and proper tools for system set up or problem resolution.
- Provide on-the-job training and mentoring to junior Field Service Engineers and customers.
- Conduct formal classroom training.
- Communicate with the project team to ensure a constant level of project awareness.
- Keep accurate service call records.
- Prepare service/warranty and other reports for customers and internal distribution in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with the Documentation Department on a timely basis to ensure that all drawings, manuals, sequence of operation, and PLC and HMI programs are kept current and correct.
- Ensure that all field operation work and /or upgrade documentation is updated on the network, in the correct project file location(s)
- Seek sales opportunities while ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Assist in the quotation and technical sales support of control system field service solutions.
- Provide product improvement suggestions and customer feedback to Engineering and Management.
- Between field service assignments: assist engineers with projects, perform product testing, and attend project kick off and lessons learned meetings with Engineering, Sales, and customers.
- Attend technical training classes, as directed by the Service Department General Manager and share this knowledge with peers, interns, and/or service technicians.
- B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 3-6 years experience in control systems engineering preferred
- At least 2 years experience in a technical, customer focused, field service position
- Have a firm understanding of motion control systems (e.G., robotics, motion control systems, and motion control programming and/or design).
- Excellent customer focus and strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Proficient with standard electronic test equipment
- Proficient in the latest automation PLC products to include Siemens, Mitsubishi, Allen Bradley etc.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- The ability to read electrical schematics, controls prints, and mechanical drawings
- Able to effectively deal with customer complaints
- Must be a legal US citizen or resident and possess a current driver s license
- Must be able to pass drug screen and criminal background check
- Employee is expected to be honest and ethical at all times
- Must project a professional appearance and attitude
- Must have good customer relation skills
- Must be available to conduct at least 50% of their work at remote locations. There must be no restrictions to travel, both locally and globally
- Manual dexterity and the ability to work in confined spaces
- Duties of the job require employee to regularly stand, walk, sit, use hand and eye coordination, use hand/air/electrical power tools, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk, and listen.
- May be required to lift and/or move up to 35 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and depth perception.
- Must be self-directed and exhibit the ability to work independently. Must also be able to take direction and be able to work as part of a team.
- Previous automation installation experience with powertrain assembly is strongly desired, but other automotive automation/assembly installation experience will be considered.
- Must be willing to travel 50-70% locally, domestically and internationally, including on short notice, holidays and weekends.
Meet Your Recruiter
Vice President, Engineering Delivery
Rich Kirk has been part of The Panther Group for 6 years. He has worked his way up from an entry level recruiter to the Director of Operations for the Engineering Division.
Fun Fact: A native of England, Rich is an avid soccer fan and plays just like David Beckham