Bethel, CT 06801
The requirements for this assignment include:
- Lead the mechanical design and development of new and existing battery cell form factors from concept prototype through mass production.
- Design formed metal and plastic molded battery components, assemblies and processes utilizing solid modeling software and advanced engineering tools (FEA, FMEA) to enable rapid cycle learning and manufacturing of cell designs.
- Develop product design documentation and specifications for battery components, materials and processes to meet internal product quality criteria and external regulatory compliance.
- Lead product development teams, comprising both internal and external resources; provide design oversight and direction to external design agencies related to the technical design and development of products.
- Design tooling/fixtures to build and test prototype cells as well as assemble prototype cells and perform testing as needed.
- Collaborate with the commercial teams to develop and assess product concept options with corresponding cost projections in response to specific consumer insights.
- Provide technical direction for product concept development.
- Review new designs against existing intellectual property landscape; capture and submit patent applications for new IP where appropriate.
- Develop and manage the technical program timeline.
- Provide product cost estimates with support from internal groups.
- Ensure product engineering achieves program requirements (such as cost, performance, quality and timing).
- Manage the Design for Manufacturing and Assembly process with specific regard to partner manufacturer capabilities.
- Liaison between the external design agency and the partner manufacturer, responsible for the transition of design to manufacturing startup through to qualification and production.
- Engage with project teams, both on the team and as a resource. Enable others to understand implications of design choices.
- Communicate technical progress to management on assigned projects through monthly progress reports or postings and/or presentations.
- Travel domestically and overseas (10~20%).
Qualifications for this position include:
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering and 5+ yrs. of direct product design experience. Proficiency in 3D CAD (SolidWorks preferable) and CAE engineering tools (FEA, FMEA, and GD&T) is highly desired, battery or chemistry knowledge is a plus.
- Experience delivering fabricated parts and product assemblies per design with external contract manufacturers both domestic and overseas.
- Expertise in the areas of component design, manufacturing, and assembly. Thorough understanding of relevant manufacturing methods, including: molding, machining, casting, extruding, die forming and stamping.
- Knowledge in analytical methods, metrology, and SPC for part/material design analysis and verification.
- Ability to collaborate and lead in a culturally and functionally diverse environment. This individual will be working with people from varied backgrounds, so being able to work well with others and translating technical terms to laypersons terms is a big plus.
- Excellent oral and written skills to communicate results, objectives, status, and recommendations, to management, peers and team members.
- Self-motivated with focus on delivering project goals in a timely manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic R&D environment with changing priorities and multiple project responsibilities.
- Able to use standard office software.
- Good Mechanical problem solving, and organizational skills required.
- Self-starter and self-directed.
Meet Your Recruiter
Client Relationship Manager
John Sabbagh has over 10 years of recruiting experience. Starting his career as an Entry Level Recruiter at Panther, our candidates find him genuine and great resource to their career search!
Fun Fact: John is a sports fanatic, he plays in horseshoe and cornhole leagues and loves fantasy football.