The Panther Group has an immediate need for a Payroll Specialist for a contract to hire position, for our client in the insurance industry.
This is full time hybrid position, reporting 2 to 3 days per week, to the client's office located in Bethlehem, PA.
PAYROLL SPECIALIST (HYBRID Bethlehem, PA)
Performs all activities required to process home office, retiree, and disability payrolls, including all pre-and post-controls and validation, maintaining related records, ensuring that all employee level tax issues are properly addressed, posting to the general ledger, preparing accounting transactions, and closing each cycle in a timely manner consistent with internal governance and accounting requirements.
• In conjunction with the Payroll ensure that all payroll administration and accounting processes are regularly evaluated to be as streamlined and efficient as possible.
• Maintain all critical payroll controls and procedures, including developing and enforcing standards, to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of payroll processing, including manual and automated input to the payroll system as well as output from the payroll system to other systems.
• Assist overseeing all aspects of wage attachment processing.
• Prepare payment requests for all third-party payroll liabilities other than taxes.
• Promptly executes all pre- and post-processing audits to validate payroll accuracy and promptly makes any necessary adjustments so that employees and other key stakeholders have an error-free payroll experience. Inform key stakeholders regarding errors or corrections as appropriate.
• Enter and release off-cycle, On-Demand payments as needed.
• Collaborate with the Tax department, FM&C, and HR stakeholder (e.g. Benefits) on all payroll issues.
• Serves as the Tier 3 expert for payroll matters that are referred by the HR Shared Services Center team (MyHR), ensuring that all inquiries and cases are resolved as quickly as possible with a focus on providing superior customer service.
• Manage the various payrolls for active corporate employees, retirees, and those on disability including pre- and post- verifications, balancing and reconciliations, general ledger posting and journal entries, and reporting.
• Assist with overseeing the resolution of all Tier 3 service requests escalated from MyHR within established Service Level Agreement parameters.
• Cross train payroll staff in all routine payroll policies and processes to eliminate all single points of failure; collaborate with MyHR leadership to ensure proper training of MyHR staff as appropriate.
• Maintain a wide variety of payroll information, files and records in written and electronic formats for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
Escalate potential service issues to the Payroll Manager or Head of Payroll
• Knowledge of payroll administration, controls, governance, and accounting best practices with established network for keeping current.
• Knowledge of current federal, state, and local regulatory and compliance obligations related to payroll and how to fulfil them in a timely and accurate manner.
• Understanding of multi-state payroll practices, requirements, and financial/tax implications.
• Knowledge of Workday Payroll module required.
• Knowledge of Workday HCM preferred.
• Continuously strives to provide superior products and customer service
• Expresses oneself in an open and honest manner
• Demonstrates self-awareness and embraces feedback
• Minimum of 4 years of experience
• Ability to function as a working (hands-on) payroll lead processing payrolls, as well as cover for team members in back-up role for vacation and/or high-volume work efforts.
• Strong focus on customer service, working as a supportive escalation expert to the HR Shared Services Center and a valued partner to other COEs and HR Business Partners as required.
• Proven ability to manage highly sensitive information, working with internal partners to accomplish objectives without compromising a high threshold for discretion and confidentiality.
• Highly autonomous and self-motivated, demonstrating sound judgment and initiative while keeping others informed as appropriate.
• Strong aptitude for mathematics; highly analytical with a sharp focus on detail and accuracy; able to think logically yet broadly to solve immediate issues, identify and diagnose root cause of systemic issues, and take a leadership role in driving improvements and efficiencies.
• Highly effective communicator with an ability to effectively correspond verbally and in writing with multiple constituencies at all levels across the organization.
• Accomplished organizational and time management skills to successfully manage multiple priorities at a given time and deliver excellent results with sense of urgency.
• Effective manager capable of successfully engaging and leveraging the expertise of assigned team members.
• Strong skills in Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Access.