New York, NY 10007
The Payroll/Benefit Specialist processes and transmits payroll timely, efficiently, and accurately. The Payroll/Benefit Specialist will maintain hierarchal reporting, employee data, and security access for HRIS, payroll, benefits and time management. This position will be the subject matter expert to provide recommendations to the team and management on operating efficiencies, improved technology, audits and controls, legal/compliance issues, and best practices.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Payroll Processing key data entry for payroll, payroll adjustments, calculate monthly and quarterly incentives and other variable pay, coordinate timesheet and exception approvals with supervisors, export data from time management system. Process a bi-weekly payroll. Work to reconcile quarterly and annual tax filings to submit to tax representative and MCU accounting department.
- System Integrity maintain data accuracy in ADP. Assist with system needs evaluation, systems upgrades, and new implementations. Perform audits to verify integrity of data. Perform regularly scheduled system backups and utilities. Main point of contact for all security access to the HRIS systems.
- Reporting generate payroll reports for various departments of the company and third party vendors; calculate deposits and reports for 401k and Pension plan, prepare management payroll audit reports. Produce other scheduled and ad hoc reports as needed.
- File Maintenance maintain all employee personnel files. Create and Update other HR files as necessary. Conduct periodic audits of employee records to assure all required documents are accounted for. Manage on site and off site records according to record retention policy. Review and revise record retention needs with changes to legislation and legal requirements.
- Operating Efficiency proactively seek opportunities to improve payroll, HRIS and Benefit operations through process improvements, use of different technologies, or through improved coaching/training/education of staff and managers; Identify gaps in existing processes/practices making recommendations on better audits and controls. Be resourceful and proactive in identifying changes in legislation, best practices or technologies through active participation in associations, use of online resources; attend webinars for improvement of processes and ongoing updates in the payroll system, networking and/or literature.
- General Employee Inquiries provide superior customer service to employees by addressing questions and concerns regarding payroll, employment, benefits, and general HR inquiries
- Cross Train with other HR functions employee will be cross trained to address other HR functions, benefits, compensation, recruiting and staffing support.
- Ensure payroll compliance with state and federal regulations
- Assist with Benefits and Compensation Administration; act as the point of contact in the absence of Benefits and Compensation staff.
- Provides special HR-related projects as needed.
- Some College Degree in Accounting/Finance preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience administering payroll.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of payroll calculation and processing.
- Strong knowledge of ADP preferred.
- Experienced with benefits administration is ideal
- Full knowledge of current Federal, State and local labor laws, tax requirements and payroll regulations
- Ability to work in a fast paced team environment with exceptional customer service skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills a must.
- Advanced experience with MS Office Suite software (Excel, PowerPoint, MSWord)
Meet Your Recruiter
Manager, Strategic Accounts
James has been going the extra mile for both candidates and clients since joining The Panther Group in 2009. When not at work, he spends his time having adventures with his two sons.
Fun Fact: James once had to shave his head when he lost a wager with a former Panther colleague that the Bruins would beat the Canadians in the playoffs.